One-a-Day...for the Heart: Entirely Faithful
All heaven will praise Your great wonders, Lord; myriads of angels will praise You for Your faithfulness. For who in all of heaven can compare with the Lord? What mightiest angel is anything like the Lord? The highest angelic powers stand in awe of God. He is far more awesome than all who surround His throne. O Lord God of Heaven's Armies! Where is there anyone as mighty as You, O Lord? You are entirely faithful, (Psalm 89:5-8 NLT).
Ethan the Ezrahite wrote Psalm 89. He was mentioned in 1 Kings 4:31 as being a wise man, though not as wise as Solomon. He was a musician and songwriter who played the cymbals and was very comfortable praising and worshiping the Lord. He encouraged people to praise God during difficult times and to call on Him for strength during times of adversity and hardship because of the Lord’s remarkable faithfulness. I will sing of the Lord's unfailing love forever! Young and old will hear of your faithfulness. Your unfailing love will last forever. Your faithfulness is as enduring as the heavens, Ethan wrote in verses 1-2.
Because of our human frailties and shortcomings, it is nearly impossible to say of anyone that he or she is “entirely faithful”. Entirely here means all, whole, entirety, every part. The Lord is entirely faithful; there is no part of Him that is UN-faithful. His thoughts, motives, actions, words—His whole being—is entirely faithful always. He’s not just faithful when we do things that please Him, but certainly, that gets His attention, as evidenced in Deuteronomy 7:9-10 (NLT): Understand, therefore, that the Lord your God is indeed God. He is the faithful God who keeps His covenant for a thousand generations and lavishes His unfailing love on those who love Him and obey His commands.
The most extraordinary thing about God’s faithfulness is found in 2 Timothy 2:13 (NLT), If we are unfaithful, He remains faithful, for He cannot deny who He is. He shouted it to Moses in Exodus 34:6 (NLT), and oh, how I wish I could have heard that! The Lord passed in front of Moses, calling out, "Yahweh! The Lord! The God of compassion and mercy! I am slow to anger and filled with unfailing love and faithfulness! First of all, just having God pass in front of him must have drained all the color from Moses’ rosy cheeks. Wobbly knees, tachycardia, and hyperventilation no doubt followed, as he threw himself to the ground and worshiped. How do you recover from THAT?
Although the Lord has never shouted anything to me (I probably wouldn’t be alive to tell of it, if He had), He certainly has proven to me again and again, that He is compassionate, merciful, slow to anger, and filled with unfailing love and faithfulness toward me, when I did not deserve it. Take a moment to recall when He has demonstrated those things to you. He is entirely faithful to you.
Meditate on God’s faithfulness as you read these verses:
· 2 Thessalonians 3:3 (NLT)--But the Lord is faithful; He will strengthen you and guard you from the evil one. Make this a personal proclamation by interjecting your name for the word “you”. But the Lord is faithful; He will strengthen Sue and guard her from the evil one.
· Psalm 91:4 (NLT)--He will cover you with His feathers. He will shelter you with His wings. His faithful promises are your armor and protection. Again, personalize this verse with your name instead of “you”. He will cover Bob with His feathers. He will shelter him with His wings. His faithful promises are Bob’s armor and protection.
· Psalm 36:5 (NLT)--Your unfailing love, O Lord, is as vast as the heavens; your faithfulness reaches beyond the clouds.
· Deuteronomy 32:4 (NLT)--He is the Rock; His deeds are perfect. Everything He does is just and fair. He is a faithful God who does no wrong; how just and upright He is!
· Lamentations 3:22-23 (NLT)--The faithful love of the Lord never ends! His mercies never cease. Great is His faithfulness; His mercies begin afresh each morning.
· Psalm 119:90 (NLT)--Your faithfulness extends to every generation, as enduring as the earth You created.
The Lord has our highest good in mind all the time. When we trust Him with our life, we can know that His immeasurable faithfulness reaching beyond the clouds, is extended to us, for He is entirely faithful.
© 2022, Chris Werre