I am the Lord, and I change not (Malachi 3:6 KJV). What a bold statement to make! Most of us change our minds at least several times a day. We change our minds and behavior hundreds of times in a lifetime—sometimes to the complete surprise and dismay of those who know us.
That’s so out of character for her, we utter as a pious little church lady cuts loose on the dance floor at a wedding reception. Even the most stable, disciplined person can demonstrate a total character flip-flop under extreme circumstances.
But not the Lord. Not Yahweh, which is the covenant name of God to the Jews. “Yahweh” speaks of God’s unchanging faithfulness to fulfill His promises. Yahweh says He changes not, i.e., He does not alter, disguise, or pervert what He has promised or established. His character does not flip-flop. The promises of Yahweh are entirely true and dependable. If He says He saves us from eternal damnation, He does. If He says He will provide for us, He will. If He says He’s given us power over the devil, He has. Can He heal? Yes, for He says, "I am the Lord who heals you" (Exodus 15:26).
What are some unchanging traits of the Lord? When I trust someone, that trust is based on having a clear understanding of who the person is and what his character is like. The following is a list of several unchanging attributes of God—keep in mind that He NEVER alters, disguises, or perverts these exceptional traits:
1. God is love. This is probably His most outstanding trait. 1 John 3:1 (NLT) says, See how very much our Father loves us, for he calls us his children, and that is what we are!
2. God is good. Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who trusts in him (Psalm 34:8).
3. God is holy. Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts; the whole earth is full of His glory! (Isaiah 6:3 ESV).
4. God is merciful and compassionate. But You, O Lord, are a God full of compassion, and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in mercy and truth (Psalm 86:15).
5. God is forgiving. For I will forgive their wickedness and remember their sins no more (Hebrews 8:12).
6. God is our helper and strength. God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble (Psalm 46:1).
7. God is our source of peace. He is our peace, who has broken down every wall (Ephesians 2:14).
The list of God’s attributes is impressive and endless. It is immutable. I change not, He said. Too good to be true? God is not a man that He should lie; neither the son of man that He should repent: hath He said, and shall He not do it? or hath He spoken, and shall He not make it good? (Numbers 23:19).
He is who He says He is—Yahweh, the covenant-keeping, promise-keeping, unchanging God. No matter what changes around us, our God, with all of His outstanding character traits, will not change. Aren't you glad?
© 2023, Chris Werre