No, I will not break my covenant; I will not take back a single word I said. I have sworn an oath to David, and in my holiness I cannot lie (Psalm 89:34-35 NLT). Our Lord cannot lie to us, either. That verse in Psalm 89 was not written exclusively for David; God’s promises to us are every bit as solid and true as His words to Moses, David, Joshua, Daniel, and every person who believes in His sovereignty. Numbers 23:19 (NLT) assures us of this: God is not a man, so He does not lie. He is not human, so He does not change His mind. Has He ever spoken and failed to act? Has He ever promised and not carried it through?
As children—maybe even as adults—we may have been on the unpleasant end of a “Backsies” deal, when a friend gave us something then decided he wanted it back. Really cool cat’s-eye marbles and crocks were valuable trading items on the playground in years gone by. Nothing was more disappointing than receiving a beautiful tiger-eye marble through a trade, proudly putting it in your marble bag, then being asked to give it back because the owner changed his mind. Of lesser value were flavored wax teeth, lips, and moustaches at the candy counter, exchanged for Tootsie Rolls or fireballs or less exciting pieces of candy. Inevitably, the candy covenant was broken and the coveted wax teeth and lips were surrendered back to the original owner. Being a victim of childhood Backsies was no fun.
We change our minds too often. Our intentions and words are initially sincere, then something changes our minds, and we take back what we said or gave or offered, both to people and to the Lord. God’s standard of No Backsies is so marvelous! I will not take back a single word I said is cause for us to delve into His Word and discover exactly what He has said for the many situations we face in life.
Here are a few of those things God has said for our life situations, and keep in mind that our No-Backsies God will not take back a single word of what He said:
· Peace: John 14:27 (NLT) [Jesus said], "I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don't be troubled or afraid.”
· Provision: Luke 12:27-28 (NLT) And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, He will certainly care for you.
· God’s presence with us always: John 14:16-18 (NKJV) And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever — the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.
· Jesus’ certain return: Matthew 24:44 (NLT) You also must be ready all the time, for the Son of Man will come when least expected.
· There is a place for us in Heaven: John 14:1-3 (NKJV) [Jesus said], "Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.”
Perhaps life has taken back from you something precious—health, a loved one, a home, a job, a friendship, a child. Know this: God has not taken them from you. He is a No Backsies God. Whatever has been taken from you, He will replace with His love, grace, provision, kindness, compassion, peace, hope, and goodness.
When we give our lives and substance to God, He always gives--not takes—back to us in ways and means we cannot measure or comprehend…Luke 6:38 (NKJV) says, Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you. He’s a giving God, not a taking God. There are No Backsies with our amazing God! Trust Him with all that you are and all that you have!
© 2021, Chris Werre