One-a-Day...for the Heart: Promises, Promises
Keeping a promise is important. As a child, I was taught to honor and keep promises, but many of us have learned that some promises are impossible to keep, whether we’re on the promising side or the promised side. Most of us are guilty of making promises to our kids that we can’t keep, so we’ve had to sharpen our parenting skills and learn how to comfort little ones whose hearts are sick after their hopes have been deferred.
There are weighty promises to last a lifetime, like I do, and lesser promises like I promise to take out the trash. But all promises involve giving our word to another person. There is no one more trustworthy at keeping promises than the Lord. He is the ultimate Promise Keeper, and His Word is full of promises to us. Our words fail; His do not…ever. God is not a man, so he does not lie. He is not human, so he does not change his mind. Has he ever spoken and failed to act? Has he ever promised and not carried it through? (Numbers 23:19 NLT).
Although God is perfect and needs no system of checks and balances or accountability, He does confer with the other two members of the Trinity, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. Genesis 1:26 says that God said, Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness. He was talking to Jesus and the Holy Spirit—a Heavenly Board Meeting, of sorts.
Regarding God’s promises, we read in 2 Corinthians 1:20 (MSG), Whatever God has promised gets stamped with the “Yes” of Jesus. In Him, this is what we preach and pray, the great Amen, God's “Yes” and our “Yes” together, gloriously evident. God’s promises have the stamp of approval from the other Board Members! Be encouraged with these great promises from our Promise Keeper, engraved on His heart:
1. Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord will personally go ahead of you. He will be with you; he will neither fail you nor abandon you (Deuteronomy 31:8 NLT).
2. When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you (Isaiah 43:2 NLT).
3. The Lord says, "I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you (Psalm 32:8 NLT).
4. For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope” (Jeremiah 29:11 NLT).
5. For He will rescue you from every trap and protect you from deadly disease (Psalm 91:3 NLT).
Search the scriptures and find promises that apply to your situation or problem. You will be blessed. I promise!